Dental Emergencies Santa Maria
We’re here for your Dental Emergencies
Same day appointments are available for dental emergencies. When you’re in pain and in need of immediate assistance, Dr. Nguyen’s staff will get you in as soon as possible so she can get you out of pain as soon as possible. She’ll perform an oral exam and take X-rays to find the source of the pain.
What to do for some common dental problems
- Toothache – Rinse your mouth out with warm water and with dental floss remove any particles of food. If you have a swollen mouth, apply a cold compress to the outside of your mouth.
- Dental abscess – Call us immediately as dental abscesses can lead to a serious infection if not treated right away. To ease the pain and to try drawing the infection to the surface, rinse your mouth with a mild salt water solution of ½ teaspoon salt in 8 ounces of water several times a day.
- Knocked out tooth – If you can, save the tooth. Hold it by the crown and rinse off the root if it’s dirty but don’t scrub it. Try to put the tooth back, in making sure it is facing the right way. Otherwise, put it in a container of milk or a product such as Save-a-Tooth. Call us right away. We can often save your tooth if we can return it to its socket within one hour.
- Loose crown – If a crown falls off try to slip it back over the tooth, first preparing the inside with over-the-counter dental cement, denture adhesive or even toothpaste. Otherwise, bring the crown with you.
- Lost dental filling – Seal the filling area with some sugarless gum or dental cement you can buy over the counter at the drug store.
- Bitten tongue, lip or gum – Clean the area and apply an ice pack.
- Broken tooth – Save the pieces if you can to bring with you. Rinse your mouth with warm water to get rid of any remaining small broken pieces. If you have pain, apply a cold compress to the area.